Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Super-8 Screening in L.A.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.flickerla.com/

    The next Flicker-Los Angeles event will be held on Tuesday, November 5th. It's the annual "in-camera-edit" screening (last year's was a blast!)...the cool thing about this one is that it will be screening at an actual theater (Egyptian, Hollywood) though, ironically, the films had to be transferred to Beta-SP for projection!
    Cal Godot and I made a film called "e-Slay!" which will premiere...

    Hope to see some of you there...

    FLICKER BLACK POSTER

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know. I liked it when they did it at club spaceland. I could at least drink while watching the films. Can you drink at the Egyptian Theater? Doesn't matter anyway. I can't leave San Francisco on the 5th. I have to VOTE YES ON PROP S!

    Prop S will put San Francisco on the record supporting the cultivation of marijuana for medicinal purposes by allowing the San Francisco government to cultivate medicinal marijuana! VOTE YES ON PROP S!!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member calgodot's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Back when I used to play live music and other performance-type stuff, I would abhor any gig where I had to play to crowd of drinkers. Art & booze are only properly mixed after the production, after the gallery opening, after the screening.

    Besides, in terms of total coolness: 'tis a far, far better thing to be screened at the Egyptian. The seats are much more comfortable.

    And to have one's Super 8 film shown at one of the most historically significant theaters in America... well, I know I'm glad I gave up my weekends to help Chas shoot his film!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bring home the trophy for us Charles!

    I would love to come to the festival (had a blast at the first one...beer, german sausage, beer) but I'm working nights.

    Maybe I can swing something.

    Scott

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 30, 2002 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Hanthx ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Transferred to Beta for projection? Who's brainstorm was this?

    "I know, let's reduce the resolution by half in preparation for projecting it four times normal size!"

    What, they never heard of a Xenon projector? I'm sure one could have been rented for a lot less than the entire telecine of the films to video. Heck, as expensive as BetaSP tapes are, they probably could have rented a Xenon for the same as the raw tape stock! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Have fun, though. I'll be going to the Austin Flicker about the same time.

    Roger

  6. #6
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Austin Flicker? Hey let us know how that is, Roger. I should start sending my films over to the different Flickers across the country. Kind of a cool, underground way to get your stuff shown.

    Anyway, re the Beta-SP transfer...that was either Norwood Cheek's or the theater people's idea. He may have gotten the transfer for free at Yale since they are one of the event's sponsors; I don't know the details...I'm just a director-peon!

    And I don't think the LA Flicker at least, is giving out the $100.00 prize anymore, Scott...a shame...try to make it ... we're going for drinks afterwards...

    Chas

  7. #7
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    Transferred to Beta for projection? Who's brainstorm was this?

    "I know, let's reduce the resolution by half in preparation for projecting it four times normal size!"

    What, they never heard of a Xenon projector? I'm sure one could have been rented for a lot less than the entire telecine of the films to video. Heck, as expensive as BetaSP tapes are, they probably could have rented a Xenon for the same as the raw tape stock!
    Roger
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    For those who made the screening at the Egyptian theater last night, thanks for coming! The place was packed! I think there were 600 seats and it looked like 599 were taken. I have never seen that theater so filled!

    Roger, you were right about the projection - dead on. While my companions didn't seem to be bothered I could not get over the size of the GRAIN! People showing Tri-X films...well...the images were almost impossible to see they were so washed out.

    I asked a friend in the biz about the Xenon projector idea and he said it wouldn't have been much better, what with the light needed to project the full size of the screen.

    Anyway, other than that, the screening went well. It was a great audience. They seemed to like the films. Unfortunately my partially-animated film was shown directly after another partially- animated film so it kind of lost it's shock value.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 06, 2002 01:07 PM: Message edited by: chas_ucla ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A bit of a surprise that randomly ordered films would have ended up putting together the two that contained stop motion.
    Most of the films were pretty decent. I was expecting more experimental work but was pleasently surprised by how well the linear films worked.
    If they could have gotten a zenon projector how would they have handled sound?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A bit of a surprise that randomly ordered films would have ended up putting together the two that contained stop motion.
    Most of the films were pretty decent. I was expecting more experimental work but was pleasently surprised by how well the linear films worked.
    If they could have gotten a zenon projector how would they have handled sound?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 8th Man:
    A bit of a surprise that randomly ordered films would have ended up putting together the two that contained stop motion.
    Most of the films were pretty decent. I was expecting more experimental work but was pleasently surprised by how well the linear films worked.
    If they could have gotten a zenon projector how would they have handled sound?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hey 8th Man...I didn't know you'd be coming...you could have joined us for drinks at Boardners afterwards..
    Yeah, the guy who organized the event is the only one who saw the films before Tuesday and I can't believe he didn't put them in some sort of order despite what the brochure said. I mean, come on, two films with pretty much the same subject matter back to back... a coincidence? I don't think so. But if I sound bitter it's because the film before mine was MUCH BETTER! Very well done stop-motion. Those dolls in the beginning were real creepy.

    As for the projector...well, if you've been to the Flickers at Spaceland ... He just plays your CD or cassette along when the film is playing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •